Monday, April 11, 2011

Switching Gears–Playground Season Begins

I’ve had a great time this winter reviewing all the indoor play spaces I could find but I can’t wait to get back outside reviewing playgrounds again. Even through the winter my eyes are drawn to playgrounds Although I do my best to find great playgrounds, there are tons I’m going to miss without some help.

If you have a tip on a playground I should review please drop me an e-mail at playgroundsnoop@gmail.com.

When I am looking for playgrounds to review I’d like it to fit into one of the following playgrounds:

1. A big playground

There’s no sense in me reviewing every little tot lot in Calgary. If nothing else, the playground should at least be a decent size.

(pictured – Parkdale Community Centre Playground)

2. A themed playground

Themes just make playgrounds better. This one below in Prestwick is pretty spectacular, but even a more subtle theme in an otherwise basic playgrounds makes it seem special.

(pictured – Prestwick Pirate/Castle Park)

3. A playground with unique equipment

Sometimes even decent playgrounds can seem monotonous because all the equipment is exactly the same as the playground down the street.

(pictured – Cambrian Heights Playground)

4. A playground at a unique location

Sometimes the playground doesn’t have to be the focus at all if it’s located in a really interesting place.

(pictured - The playground at Prairie Winds Park is not the best but there’s a huge hill that you can stand on and watch the planes fly right above your heads. The planes fly so close you aren’t allowed to fly kites!)

5. A playground inside a great park

A playground can still be worth a trip if it’s inside a beautiful park with pathways and picnic tables.

(Pictured – Stanley Park Playground)

6. An accessible playground

I would pretty much review any playground that had accessible flooring. It’s not only beneficial for people in wheelchairs, it’s helpful for anyone with reduced motor skills and toddlers just learning to walk.

(pictured – Helicopter Playground – Parkdale/West Hillhurst)

7. Water features

Wading pool or spray park, water is just plain fun.

(pictured - South Glenmore Park)

Guest Reviewer Information

I also try my best to cover all of Calgary, but getting to the edges of the city and most particularly in the deep south. If you have a playground (or more than one!) that you would be willing to review I’d be happy to post it along with a link to your blog if you have one.

If you would like to do a review, just copy the template below, and e-mail your answers and at least one picture of the playground to playgroundsnoop@gmail.com .  When taking playground pictures try to avoid identifiable pictures of other people's children and don't take pictures of children in bathing suits (I usually find it impossible to take pictures at water parks unless the weather is really bad).  I can crop pictures if needed.

Also, please ensure you are reviewing a public playground and not one designed only for a specific population. If you have access to a private playground that you would like to review because it is special in some way (eg. It is designed for children with autism or children with visual impairments) please let me know.

For outdoor play areas:
Your Child's Review (ages):
Age Range:
Ground Cover:
Features:
Surrounding Park Area:
Shade:
Seating:
Stroller/wheelchair access:

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so excited to get back outside and go to the playgrounds now that the snow is melting. I have a feeling I'm going to turn into one of your reviewers because Every Time we pass a playground my daughter says "maybe we can go to the playground someday" in a very longing way. Our plan is to go to as many as possible this summer. We are getting a new Spray Park right by our house too (Canmore Park) so I will do a review of that once they finish it and it is warm enough to go. Who knows - maybe we will see each other out on the playground one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again thank you for your work. You make planning for a day out of the house very easy.

    Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @melanie
    Melanie - that would be great if you were able to do some reviews this summer! We might just run into each other, Canmore Park's not too far from where I live.

    ReplyDelete